We call SEL, “behaviour education” and treat behaviour as a subject. We do not expect children to do well in it if they do not receive the appropriate and necessary education.
- Physically interactive, games and activities that both require and develop personal and social capabilities as they are being played.
- Five guiding concepts that serve as a moral compass and help children to do what they believe is right and best to do. When embedded, these concepts prevent children from drowning in life and learning – hence, they are aptly called Life Raft concepts.
- An empowering self-reflective language that helps children to master their behaviour in preparation for a responsible life in a free and democratic society.
- Six key virtues that we call our Pathway To Empathy virtues. When understood, practised and habituated, these virtues result in people of strong character and empathy.
It is our belief that personal and social capabilities must be addressed in all learning areas and at every stage of a student’s learning. This is only possible if students and teachers have a language, concepts and understandings that are applicable in all contexts. Play Is The Way sees social and emotional learning as a tide that floats all boats.
LIFE RAFT CONCEPTS
- Treat others as you want them to treat you.
- Be brave – Participate to Progress.
- Pursue your personal best no matter who you - work with.
- Have reasons for the things you say and do.
- It takes great strength to be sensible.
PATHWAY TO EMPATHY VIRTUES
Please visit the following link for further information and additional resources, for parents: